Curry Rice Recipe (easy. cheap. vegan.)

Hello fellow bloggers! 

Today I am going to share with you my easy and cheap one pot recipe for curry rice. As a student I don’t really have the time nor the budget to make delicious meals. Therefore i created a one pot curry rice that has all the nutrients you need and as it is only one pot, there’s hardly any washing up… even better!

Ingredients; Brown rice (or white), Salt, Pepper, Curry Powder, Frozen Vegetables, Condiments of choice ( I prefer soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce) 

Now very straight forward, add the rice, vegetables, desired amount of curry powder, salt and pepper of choice to a pan. Then fill with water, i usually use around 500ml to 750ml because I cook my rice for longer and the excess water turns into a kind of creamy sauce that’s delicious. This meal is also extremely cheap as rice is one of the cheapest foods on the planet, especially brown rice which is packed with nutrients to fill you. I often intend to bulk make this meal as I add so many vegetables it fills a huge pan however, at university I often make it at lunchtime then use the one pan for my lunch, tea and snacks throughout the day.

As I am vegan, I stick with the rice and vegetables however meat eaters may choose to add a meat of their choice on top of the rice, e.g chicken breast, but I don’t believe this is neccessary as the curry rice is flavoursome enough especially with the flavours of the vegetables also. For an extra source of protein you could add quinoa to the pot or chickpeas or your

favourite beans. One great thing about this recipe is that you can totally tailor it to you, add whatever vegetables are on offer at the supermarket or about to go out of date in your fridge. I love adding onions and mushrooms however, as im on a budget I tend to stick with mixed frozen vegetables and peas. 

As vegans don’t get the vitamin B12 through natural sources, I also add nutritional yeast to the top of this as it adds a nice cheese like flavour however, not everyone may like the sound of cheese and curry!