Where Ideas Grow

A blog for students of creative writing at York St John University

The Unspoken Playlist – Beyond the Walls 2024

Have you ever made a playlist with a super niche and incredibly long title that perfectly encapsulates a very specific emotion?

Well, in the spirit of making playlists with a specific theme, I have curated a selection of songs to help all you writers out there get in the mood to write for this year’s Beyond the Walls anthology! Whether the song expresses a marginalized voice like Just A Girl by No Doubt, or is more on the nose like Shut Up and Dance by WALK THE MOON, every song on this list encompasses the theme of ‘Unspoken.’ Most songs have been separated into sections categorized by genre except for the strictly Taylor Swift section (unapologetic Swiftie here), so hopefully there are at least a few songs that fit everyone’s tastes. Here is a link to the playlist if you want to listen!

Although all these songs fit under the ‘Unspoken’ theme, I am particularly fascinated by the instrumental section and how composers can express and provoke such strong emotions so perfectly. As a writer, I have read many lines that grasp onto my soul and rip me to shreds, but nothing has ruined me quite like classical music. What a skill it is to tell such a story without saying any words at all, and even more, providing space for endless interpretations.

One of my absolute favourite pieces of classical music is the Pas de Deux from Tchaikovsky’s ‘The Nutcracker.’ While the song alone both invigorates and crushes my spirit, being an ex-ballet dancer of 14 years allows me to visualize the dance in front of me in an almost cinematic experience. The dance itself is bold and triumphant, but the song carries a weight and swells with melancholic sighs. It was only recently that I discovered the cause of such painful chords.

Apparently, amid writing his movement for the Sugarplum Fairy, Tchaikovsky’s sister, Sasha, passed away. Before this unexpected loss, Tchaikovsky was already struggling to write anything for the ballet, but after immediately boarding a boat from Paris to New York, Tchaikovsky wrote in his letters that “It’s disgusting to write. The melancholy continues to gnaw at me.” However, at the end of his voyage, he concludes his letters by saying that “maybe, when everything ends happily, I will remember her with interest, but now, apart from suffering, there is nothing.” And when the ballet was finished almost a year later, the sweet melodies of the Sugarplum Fairy variation were preceded by a sorrowful composition known as the Pas de Deux.

Now, there has never been a confirmation of what exactly inspired Tchaikovsky to write the mournful tune, but if grief were a song, it would be this. To me, grief is not simply sadness or pain. Grief is love, just not in the way we are taught. It reminds us of the people we’ve lost and makes us recognize our innate loneliness without them, but it also reminds us of them. To remember what one has lost, the moments spent with them, is a gift. In all forms, Tchaikovsky’s Pas de Deux represents a journey through the deep despairs and also the triumphant highs of grief.

When I think of ‘Unspoken,’ I imagine everything I wish I said to those I’ve lost, and with that, all the love I still have to give them. While Tchaikovsky can portray it so perfectly in a song, I constantly strive to convey the complexities of grief through the words I write.

Hopefully in the weeks to come, I can share my own creative take on ‘Unspoken’ along with the rest of the blog team, so be on the lookout for those posts soon.

Whatever your take on ‘Unspoken’ is, whether it be as desolate as talking to the dead or as heartwarming as harboured love confessions, the Beyond the Walls team is excited to read your submissions! The call for submission is closing soon on March 11th, so make sure to send your wonderful pieces in before then!

And don’t forget, the Beyond the Walls Showcase is also on March 11th so be sure to book your FREE ticket at the link below!

If you’re still on the hunt for more ‘Unspoken’ content, check out the Unspoken Stories latest podcast episode where they interview Dr. Rob O’Connor!

Happy writing!

Letter Referenced:

https://en.tchaikovsky-research.net/pages/Letter_4367

Claire Huya

Claire Huya (she/they) is a nineteen-year-old fantasy novelist who dabbles in poetry and memoir writing. Though born in Texas, Claire has left home to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing with English Literature at York St. John University. 

Image by ‘blocks’ on Unsplash

Next Post

Previous Post

© 2024 Where Ideas Grow

Theme by Anders Norén