Photography Task – 6 Pictures

This photography task was a new challenge for me, although I feel confident filming shots with a camera, my confidence fades with photography.

We were briefed to get our own individual photographs that each showcased a different photography technique, such as; silhouette, reflection, long exposure, frame within a frame, forced perspective and shallow depth of field. I followed the subject of ‘nature’ because York has some good locations that were easy to access, with great greenery I could use. 

My struggle for the project was the Long Exposure photograph, my camera knowledge wasn’t enough, I had never tried long exposure before, so I updated my knowledge on the internet at ‘Digital Photography school’, and went out still (unknowingly) unprepared. I wanted a shot of the river flowing in motion while the surroundings remained crisp. However when I arrived to shoot at midday, the sun was bright and the over exposure of the shot was too much, ruining the pictures, to fix this I collected the rest of my photos until the sky was dark enough to get a decent picture. This was a learning experience, and although frustrating I did get my desired photo. 

The frame within a frame photo I enjoyed, walking I noticed an interesting curl in a tree, at the right angle you could see castle ruins wrapped in the tree branch as a frame. I emphasized this in ‘Photoshop’ by making the center of the frame much brighter and the surroundings darker. 

I am grateful for this task because it has forced me to learn more about these camera techniques, and I appreciate the importance of these skills for this course and my future film career. 

Word count 280

Step-by-step Guide to Long Exposure Photography