A Level to Degree-Top Tips!

The transition from GCSE to A level is a tough one but congratulations, you’ve made it to uni! Learning at university is a completely different academic experience to any other educational situation you have been in. I am currently coming to an end to my second academic week and the work load has hit me hard. Lecturers draw a key focus on the importance of independent learning, wider reading and keeping ahead of the game. it may feel like you’re behind before you’ve even started, but it is important to remember that everyone is in the same boat. 

Here are my Top Five Tips:

1. Lecture notes: Don’t panic about noting every single word from the screen down, in most cases, lecture presentations will be available to you online, meaning you can catch up after the session. I would advice however is to take note of any key points that your lecturer or fellow students make, this allows your notes to be more detailed. 
  2. The Library: take advantage of the learning spaces around you. The Fountains Centre at YSJ have brilliant facilities which allow you to work with others, find books for your course, socialise but also work in peace and quiet. There is always staff on hand to help with all your queries. 
  3. Academic Tutors: Lecturers understand that the transition from A level to Degree is huge, especially with the combined stress of moving out and meeting others. Your academic tutor is on hand to help you with not only your course worries but any general issue that may affect your learning. They are all friendly and will always make time for you. 
  4. Being ahead of the game: in order to feel more prepared for lectures, it is key to do your reading that is being set for you before the lecture. This ensures that you are able to understand the lecture and you will be able to part take in group discussions.
  5. Essential texts: Although the library hold copies and there are eBooks available, I would advise purchasing some of the essential texts that you will be using throughout your three years at university. Although they may seem expensive, I would advice looking at websites such as Ebay and Amazon, as well as shops such as Oxfam.