Mahara is the University’s e-Portfolio system. It can be accessed directly from Moodle, by clicking on explore > e-Portfolio, or by typing this address into your web-browser: http://eportfolio.yorksj.ac.uk
On Tuesday 21st January we will be upgrading from Mahara 1.4 to Mahara 1.8, a change which will ensure performance and stability for the future, and which will include a host of new features.
There will be quite a few changes, given that we are upgrading by 4 versions, as well as some great new features, including:
- New Moodle Assignment plugin which will allow students to submit e-Portfolio pages for assessment
- The block chooser now appears vertically and scrolls down the page, to accomodate longer Pages
- Page layouts can now have rows as well as columns
- The PDF block allows PDFs to be viewed inline (embedded) in a Page
- Notes (and text box blocks) can have attachments
- You can drag-and-drop to upload files
- Page skins allow individual users the ability to change the design of their Pages
- A new ‘responsive theme’, designed to work fluidly on many screen sizes; especially mobile devices
- The option for images to be resized at upload time
- The ability to add journal entries directly from a page
- Collections can be submitted to groups
- Reusable text boxes, a.k.a. ‘Notes’
- Image gallery displays external galleries (flickr, Panoramio, Photobucket, Picasa, Windows Live)
- Support for embedding content from Glogster, Prezi, Slideshare, Vimeo, Voki and WikiEducator
- The ability to copy collections
- Multiple file uploads
More information about Mahara can be found on the TEL website.
Staff can contact the TEL team for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org) and students looking for help can contact Annette Webb (Student Academic Technologies Trainer).