Artistic image of a Yorkshire white rose that features at York St John campus.

My experience as a Graduate Intern in Teaching and Learning Enhancement at YSJU

By Leah Thompson.

Being part of the Teaching and Learning Enhancement (TLE) Team at York St John as a Graduate Intern has given me a very interesting insight into all the work that goes on in the background at a Higher Education institute to ensure the students have the most authentic experience possible. For example, I have worked closely with Dr Chris Whiting on rewriting the Generic Assessment Descriptors (GAD), I have worked with Barrie Grey on Work Related Experiential Learning (WREL), and I have worked with Registry on rewording our student communications to make them accessible and student friendly.  

Although I have been part of the TLE team, I have also had the opportunity to work with the Student Support team and the Disability and Inclusion team very closely. I felt that these projects were closely aligned with the goals I wanted to achieve, as well as my own personal interests. The university was very supportive in ensuring that the internship fulfilled these interests, while also involving me in projects where additional input was needed.

Working on the ‘Retention Project’ for the Student Support team improved my confidence in supportive conversations but also just in telephone conversations in general, as well as improving my ability to work independently and trust my own instincts. I had to have conversations with various staff to be able to support the students we contact, which has also improved my networking skills.  

Within my work for the Disability and Inclusion team, I have created an Inclusive Classroom training package that will be delivered to staff next academic year, as well as contributing towards the University’s Reasonable Adjustments Guidance. I feel really proud that I have had an input on such important pieces of work, which have given me the opportunity to show my knowledge around a subject of real interest and passion for me.  

An internship is a brilliant opportunity to learn new skills and I was also lucky enough to be able to be involved with teams and projects that had interest and meaning to me. My main piece of advice for anyone thinking about or starting an internship would be to consider what you want to gain from the experience. Internships tend to be for a short, fixed-term period, so it is essential to work out which skills you are aiming to work on, which projects will be beneficial for you and your progression, and how you will evidence the projects you’ve worked on (such as having a document or link to your work for your portfolio/CV).  

If you’re currently just starting off in your career journey or thinking about a change in career pathways, an internship is a chance to experience working with different teams and on different projects within an institution to see what interests you. Due to its fixed-term nature, it may also be an opportunity to find out about areas you hadn’t thought about previously. Even if the work doesn’t relate directly to your primary interests, it can still be valuable in helping you steer your career journey after your internship.  

The TLE team and YSJU have been incredibly supportive throughout my experience here, and I look forward to seeing their continuous work as I begin my PGCE Primary here from this September.  

Photo of Leah Thompson rowing a boat.

Leah Thompson first came to YSJU in 2019 as an undergraduate studying for a BA Hons Children, Young People and Families. After graduating in 2022, she spent a year working as a teaching assistant with SEND pupils at a secondary school in York. Following her Graduate Internship with the Teaching and Learning Enhancement Team, Leah is embarking on a PGCE from September 2023.