Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Jeremy Jones – Procurement Manager

Procurement Manager at Hayes International

Class of 1989

Education and Community Studies

If you studied your undergraduate programme at York St John University or founder colleges, did you go on to postgraduate study?

No

Why have you chosen this photo as your YSJ snapshot?

This is a picture of me on my wedding day, where I married a kiwi in my new home in New Zealand, happiest day of my life.

What are your fondest memories of York St John University?

I remember many many nights at the Student Union either working behind the bar or running events, such as Discos. Although I did not do much in the way of studying (sorry lecturers) it was a time where I learnt a lot about life and friendships.

Why did you choose York St John University or founder colleges?

I always wanted to be a teacher and College of Ripon & York St John seemed a great choice. Even if I ultimately decided not to teach, I still have no regrets about the college choice.

What have you been doing since completing your studies?

I have had a varied career in terms of employers since leaving but found my vocation which is Procurement and Purchasing. I travelled the world on business with Massey Ferguson/AGCO and then in the Automotive and Aerospace sector. In 2010 I emigrated to Tauranga New Zealand and became a NZ Citizen in 2018. Married a Kiwi lady in 2021 and set up home, which we built, where we live with our two cats Bamm Bamm and Pebbles. I have a 24 year old son from my first marriage who teaches in the UK and plays guitar in a couple of local bands.

What one piece of advice would you give to a current student, or one about to graduate?

Never turn down any opportunity without good reason, you never know where one opportunity will take you. Don’t fear failure as there are greater lessons in failure than success.

Next Post

Previous Post

2 Comments

1. Jeremy Jones July 4, 2023

Just to say, I work at Hayes International (which is nothing to do with Travel) and not Hayes Travel.

• Amy McCarthy July 5, 2023 — Post Author

Hello Jeremy, thank you for your comment and please accept our apologies for the error. This mistake has now been removed. Thank you for submitting a snapshot with us. Best wishes, The Alumni Team.