Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Carley Metcalfe – Head Teacher

Deputy Head Teacher

Class of 2009

Primary Teaching with English Specialism

Former name:

Dootson

If you studied your undergraduate programme at York St John University or founder colleges, did you go on to postgraduate study?

No.

Why have you chosen this photo as your YSJ snapshot?

I’m a deputy head teacher at a large primary school and part of a fantastic staff and senior leadership team. The picture of a child and my headteacher throwing water over me was taken at a school fund raising event. The picture, for me, summarises everything I ever dreamed of becoming: A highly successful teacher who never lost sight of the fun side.

I’ve accomplished a career in education far beyond what I ever thought I’d be capable of and I’m forever grateful for the foundations that YSJ laid.

My path to teaching wasn’t a smooth one. After three successful years (in a then four year long route) I fell at the final hurdle and couldn’t graduate with QTS as I’d initially intended.

My university and lecturers did EVERYTHING possible to make sure teaching wasn’t ruled out for me at a later date. I’ll always remember the kindness and compassion shown towards me by Dean Beecham and Val Stephenson in particular.

I’m about to undertake my qualification for headship. I feel the university’s support through a period of hardship in my life plays a big part in who I am as a leader today.

To any students that may stumble upon this message, present or future please know that through hard work and determination, doors will always open for you. In times that may feel dark, a very bright future can still lie head!

What are your fondest memories of York St John University?

The people are everything. I made life long friends at YSJ. Whilst friendships were formed over fancy dress costume construction; proof reading each other’s essays and occasionally holding our friends hair over a nightclub toilet, we now meet to raise our children together; to support each other in our careers and to celebrate life’s wonderful moments. Our university friends became our family.

We still visit campus every couple of years and retell the stories of our very well spent youth.

Why did you choose York St John University or founder colleges?

I chose YSJ for a couple of reasons:
1. It’s excellent reputation in the teaching world. I wanted to be a teacher and knew YSJ was one of best options to study.
2. I loved the city of York. It’s got all the benefits of being a city whilst not becoming “anonymous”. The city has so much charm and character.
3. The university was a good size – busy and lots of people but very personable. You get to know everyone!

What have you been doing since completing your studies?

I’m at a funny point in my life. I’ve been graduated around 12 years and in those, have managed to accomplish everything I ever wanted: a great job that I love; a beautiful family; I’m married; I’ve travelled substantial parts of the world…. I feel so very privileged.

I’m ready to now reevaluate “my dreams and ambitions” – I didn’t realise I’d do so much.

University provided me things beyond just an education to accomplish this – contacts, friends and a wife social network (all formed whilst at university) have helped me get to where I am today.

What one piece of advice would you give to a current student, or one about to graduate?

It sounds cliché but graft hard and party hard. It’s worth it. Grab every opportunity with both hands and give your all to what you do: give your all to raving in nightclubs or at festivals and give your all to every single word of every essay. Whatever you do, never use your half ass; always use your full ass!

Next Post

Previous Post