Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

David Fleming Scholar

Degree: 2nd year PhD Student

Scholarship: David Fleming

Why did you apply for the Alumni-funded scholarship?

I applied for the David Fleming scholarship because I was struggling financially balancing a full-time job and PhD during the cost-of-living crisis. It was a privilege to live in such a fantastic city like York but renting alone, and paying for bills, food, travel was an enormous financial burden which caused a lot of stress and anxiety.

How did the scholarship help you?

The scholarship award was absolutely vital easing the financial pressure of my situation and allowing me to commit more to my PhD. I went from suspending my studies to successfully passing my transfer exam and progressing to the second year of my PhD – a position I did not think I would be in before I was awarded the scholarship.

What do you hope to do after completing your studies and how did the scholarship support you with this?

After I finish my PhD, my aim is to pursue a career in academia and to progress through university as a staff member. I was helped so much by the academics and staff at York St John and it would be an honour to help others in a similar role. The David Fleming Scholarship has helped me pass a difficult transfer exam and ensured that I am better set up to progress through the latter stages of my study.

What would you like to say to those who supported your scholarship?

I would like to state my enormous gratitude to the donors of the David Fleming scholarship and to David’s family for your generosity. You have been such a positive influence and help to many students at York St John. I can genuinely say that the award of this scholarship has changed the course of my PhD for the better, improved the quality of my work, and set me up for my future ambitions.

Next Post

Previous Post