Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Chris O’Neill – HR Business Partner

HR Business Partner

Class of 2014

Business Management

If you studied your undergraduate programme at York St John University or founder colleges, did you go on to postgraduate study?

Yes, somewhere else.

Why have you chosen this photo as your YSJ snapshot?

This is just a photo of me in one of my former roles as a HR Manager at a Power Station. But the journey to that role and where I am currently, wouldn’t have started if I hadn’t attended York St John.

What are your fondest memories of York St John University?

I don’t miss being in the library at 3am. The fondest memories are the strangers on day 1 who turn into friends.

Why did you choose York St John University or founder colleges?

The location of the wonderful City of York was very attractive. The relatively small size of the university helped too as there was plenty of support clearly available and you aren’t just a number. Everybody was (and I assume still are) a person who the staff got to know and develop.

What have you been doing since completing your studies?

A lot has happened since 2014. I subsequently grew my career from managing betting shops, to moving to that organisations HR team to then growing my HR career. I have completed HR Advisor roles across the UK & Ireland, and I am now a HR Business Partner for a worldwide energy organisation. I recently completed a master’s degree in HR, with distinction, from Northumbria University. My plans for the future, now I am back settled in Northumberland, is to consolidate my career, grow in the role and help the organisation achieve its objectives around net zero.

What one piece of advice would you give to a current student, or one about to graduate?

You must own your development and career. It will not just come to you. Be brave, bold and tenacious.

Next Post

Previous Post