Advertorial

Pre-production Items:

Advertorial AV Script 

Reflection:

For this artefact, my group consisted of me and one other person, making us a bare-bones crew. Not to mention, my partner was also the talent, so more like we were a bare-bones cast and crew. While having only two people for making a video is a lot of pressure, it worked well for us because we were able to choose an idea and keep on track easier than I’d experienced with larger groups. I also got a lot of experience manning the camera, sound equipment, etc.

We decided to make our video on how to use a film camera, since there’s a lot of tips and tricks to it that many people aren’t aware of nowadays due to the digital age of photography. Of course, since the video had to be exactly 2 minutes long, we could only cover the basics in that amount of time. Thus, my partner demonstrated how to load film in the camera, adjust ISO and aperture, take pictures, unload the film, and so on. Our target audience was people who are familiar with the basics of photography, so we didn’t go into composition or any of the stuff that someone familiar with digital photography should already know.

Problems we encountered were thankfully minimal. Lugging gear around York was one issue. I also made the mistake of slightly over exposing outdoor shots and starting off at the wrong shutter speed, but my partner and I worked out a system soon after to double check camera settings before shooting. My partner and I booked a TV Studio to film the majority of our advertorial in, but then found out it was double-booked and that nothing else was available to us, so we had to make do with shooting in my dorm room. Of course, since it’s such a small room, setting up a camera and three-point lighting was tricky but we made it work. It just didn’t have as much of a ‘hipster lifestyle’ feel as we were going for. Editing it was fairly simple. I decided to stray from the storyboard a bit and switch up the order of when each feature is presented, but I think the end result was more fluid and effective. It was a bit of a challenge making it exactly 2 minutes long as well. Some things had to be cut for it to meet the right length requirement.

I got some good experience as DP and editor making this. I learned I should establish a mental checklist of camera settings to be sure we’re ready for the shoot. It went surprisingly well despite the shortage of team members.