Tech Review

https://vimeo.com/user92740284/review/308014973/b9d1244e81

Reflection:

For this video, I wanted to be sure to form a stellar group since we didn’t have much time to make it. Soon as the email was sent to us announcing what the artefact assignment was, I reached out to the three best group mates I had the pleasure of working with before. They were Cullen Dallas, George Hulin, and James Chappell. Thankfully, they were all willing to form a group with me.

When the day came for us to film the video, my group was great at sticking to the task. We grabbed our gear, set up in an edit suite, and decided our roles. George was our presenter, Cullen was our director, James was sound, and I was camera operator. Figuring out what to say in the video was a little tricky because half of us had never used the Canon 77D, and none of us had an immediate idea of what to say about it in our review. Of course, we were all well familiar with the C100 and finding things to say about it was no problem. Cullen and George took the direction of comparing the C100’s best features to those of the Canon 77D. The only things that the Canon 77D seemed to have the upper hand on was its lightweight and portability.

I enjoyed being camera operator. I made sure to level the tripod for every different shot, focus the image, pan and tilt as smoothly as I could, along with everything else necessary of the camera operator. The one thing I wished I had caught at the time was when my exposure was too bright for one shot, but Cullen was able to notice and correct it on our second take. I was glad I got this experience even though it was never vocally decided that I would man the camera. I just saw an opportunity and took it.

I also edited the rough cut for this video after filming it. I started by editing together what George was presenting, and then adding B roll of it on top. Then I handed it off to Cullen to do the fine tuning and final cut. He also added music. I liked how the 77D footage we added was in black and white, like at the start of infomercials where everything looks dreary, and then how the video goes on to show C100 footage with its popping colors and high energy music to accompany it. I thought that really helped to emphasize how much more exciting the C100 is.

Problems we encountered during filming was a dog barking outside and the difficulty of remembering what lines the presenter should say. In editing, making the video over 4 minutes long was hard at first, but it worked out OK after putting in examples of footage filmed on the Cannon 77D and the C100. Overall, nothing was too hard, especially considering our time constraint. I think the winning difference was the great team we had.

I learned that making efforts to get together the best group for a film project is absolutely worth it. I also learned that if I see an opportunity to fill an important role, I should step up first instead of wait around to see if anyone else wanted to do it more than me. Creating this helped me appreciate our privilege to use the C100s all this semester instead of the Canon 77Ds, which have much fewer handy features for filmmakers.