Graduate: Amy Wearmouth

English Language & Linguistics BA (Hons) 

Graduated in 2018

Currently studying Language and Linguistics MA at York St John University.

”I’ve traveled, presented at conferences, and overcome many obstacles, and through it all I made some friends for life. Turns out, I didn’t need a gap year to ‘find myself’ after all.”

I fell in love with York St John University at first sight during an Open Day trip in Year 12. Since then, not only did I apply to do my BA in Language and Linguistics here but I stayed on to pursue an MA as well, which I am close to completing. The last 4 years have been the best of my life so far. I’ve traveled, presented at conferences, and overcome many obstacles, and through it all I made some friends for life. Turns out, I didn’t need a gap year to ‘find myself’ after all. Joining the YSJ family let me do that, providing me with countless stories and experiences that will stay with me long after I leave.

They gave me the opportunity to study some areas of interest in-depth, and then apply these to issues relevant to my cultural background and experiences in the assignments.”

I started my degree with a huge interest in bi- and multilingualism, being bilingual myself and the child of multilingual parents. While I did study the module in the second half of my first year (and thoroughly enjoyed it), it wasn’t until I took the Identities and Attitudes modules in third year that I felt I’d discovered what I was really passionate about. They gave me the opportunity to study some areas of interest in-depth, and then apply these to issues relevant to my cultural background and experiences in the assignments.

Currently on the MA Language and Linguistics programme, during which I’ve studied Language and Society; Second Language Acquisition; Political Discourse Analysis and Rhetoric; and am about to write my dissertation on the indexicality of racial identity in rap lyrics.

Click here to see an example of Amy’s research – Code Switching in Children.

Contact: Amy Wearmouth

Click here to find out more about English Language & Linguistics BA (Hons) via the York St John University website.