Welcome messages from our alumni: James Nicholson, Teacher and Children’s Author

Picture of James Nicholson

Teacher and author of The Dragon Diamond.

Starting university is a huge change for anyone and it comes with a range of emotions too. Hopefully by reading this, you will be left feeling reassured, positive and empowered at the prospect of starting your university journey!

1. As a starting point, I’d say a massive congratulations. Being in a position where you are about to start university is an achievement in itself- many people don’t reach this point, so take the time to be proud of yourself!

1. Surround yourself with positive people. There’s a famous quote by a gentleman called Les Brown which says, “Birds of a feather flock together. If you surround yourself with negative people, eventually your whole outlook will become negative too.” Find yourself a friendship group that are positive and encouraging- they’ll be a support system when you need them and will boost your confidence/motivation to succeed.

1. Ask questions if there is something that you don’t understand. In first year, I rarely asked questions and sat quietly because I worried that I would look silly for not understanding something. In hindsight, that couldn’t be further from the truth. All of the lecturers on the course are approachable, highly knowledgeable and will go above and beyond to help you- and chances are, there is another student who will be thankful that you asked a question too. Failing that, make use of 1:1 tutorials- this will give you the chance to ask questions or clarify anything that you are unsure of with the lecturer on a 1:1 basis. In my 2nd and 3rd year, I found tutorials invaluable in building my self-confidence and planning my essays.

1. Don’t compare yourself to others. That is easier said than done and I have been guilty of it myself in the past. I started studying at York St John at the age of 22. Having not been in formal education for several years and, being classed as a mature student, the thought of attending lectures and generally fitting in was a big worry that loomed over my head. Equally, I had limiting beliefs about my own potential to succeed and often compared my marks to others. However, now I can appreciate the importance of remembering that you are on your own journey. If you focus on other people for too long, it will detract from your own achievements. The only person that you need to compete with is yourself.

1. Treat assignments like a three-course meal. Sometimes the word count of an assignment can be intimidating, but if you break it down into small, manageable pieces then it becomes less overwhelming. I found that I was more productive too when focusing on one area of an essay at a time.

1. Pick modules that you find interesting or lend themselves to a career that you might want to explore. Ultimately, if you enjoy something then you are more likely to be engaged and have a better chance of being the best version of you. Each person brings to the table their own unique skills set, so why not utilise that in your modules.

1. Take time for extracurricular things too. While the ultimate goal is to come away from university with a degree, it’s also to important to experience the wider culture/community too. Perhaps join a society, a sports team or put yourself forward for research roles. Doing things like this allows you to meet other people from a diverse range of backgrounds and adds to your university experience. From time to time, we all need a change in scene or a way to reduce stress, so maybe look into opportunities around the campus that will appeal to you.

1. It’s ok to not have a plan. Perhaps it’s a bit too early to be talking about 3rd year, but in my experience, it does come around fast! Many of the peers on my course had definitive plans for where they wanted to go and what they wanted to do leading up to 3rd year, whereas I didn’t. If you’re like me, then this possibly causes a bit of panic/anxiety. Know that it is ok to not have a plan, things have a habit of working out and we all have our own unique way of getting to where we want to be. As Steve Jobs famously said, “You can’t connect the dots looking forward, it’s only when you look back then you’ll see how everything lead to your current point.”

On a final note, I wish you the very best of luck with starting university. Attending York St John was one of the happiest times of my life, and I hope that it is for you too-enjoy every minute and make some magical memories along the way!

James Nicholson

Graduate of English Language and Linguistics, 2014