Welcome messages from our students: Kyle Parker, outgoing student of TESOL and Japanese

Picture of Kyle Parker
Kyle Parker

As a student of YSJ and a member of Languages and Linguistics, you will never feel like a drop in a vast ocean, on the contrary, you will feel as if you are a part of a close-knit family. The professors and staff will always open their doors to offer guidance and support whenever you may need it, even if it is for just a friendly chat. 

The TESOL and modern foreign language courses offer a unique experience of studying abroad for your entire second year. Not only will this facilitate an acceleration in your language ability, but it will also provide you with friends and memories that will last a lifetime. Although the choice of which overseas university you will study at is not in your hands, stay open minded as wherever you go your experience will be unparalleled. 

After completing my year abroad in Japan, I had the opportunity to take the internationally recognised CELTA teaching qualification that is offered to all students studying TESOL at YSJ. It allowed me to develop the theory of teaching that I had attained throughout my first two years of study and gain some practical teaching experience which will be invaluable for my future as an English teacher.

After graduating, I will be taking part in the 2020 Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (JET) which will allow me to return to Japan and work as a teaching assistant. The application process was arduous, however, I was able to receive guidance from the staff in completing the application and preparing for the interview, which was held at the Japanese Embassy in London. Whatever your plans for the future may be, the Languages and Linguistics team will always be there to support and cheer you on.

If I could offer any advice for how to make the most out of your experience at YSJ, I would have to echo the words of Rachel, the Head of School, to simply get involved with as much as possible. There is a wealth of opportunities to engage with, from the student colloquium to a variety of societies, including a well-established Japanese society, that will not only bolster your CV, but also make your time at YSJ memorable and fulfilling.