Volunteers needed! Student Researcher Profiles

Hello all,

We have recently been auditing our webpages and have decided that it would be great if we could add a few new faces to our collection of Student Researcher Profiles on the ADD Website. The profile page is a great way to give other students who might be thinking of becoming a Student Researcher an idea of the possibilities, benefits and opportunities associated with the role, so it would be brilliant to give them an insight from people with real experience of the scheme.

Interested?

If you would like to feature on this page as an example of where being a Student Researcher can take you, please can you answer the following questions in the comments section by Monday 4 April 2016. Alternatively, you can email your answers to add@yorksj.ac.uk.

1. Project title
  2. What is your role in the projects and what tasks do you undertake?
  3. What have the benefits of being a Student Researcher been for you?
  4. What is your dream job and how has being a Student Researcher helped?

To give you an idea of what we are looking for, please click here to view the current Student Researcher profile page and click on the photos to see previous Student Researchers’ answers.

Once you have got in touch, I will be in contact to arrange a suitable time to take your photo. If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

_MG_6490

Holly Campbell

Holly works closely with the Academic Development Directorate to provide support with the organisation and marketing of events. She is responsible for the design of a wide range of promotional and informative resources, and for maintaining our online presence in order to provide the latest information on the Directorate's activities. Holly is also involved in the organisation and administration of our many events and conferences, and actively promotes student opportunities across the Univeristy.

You may also like...

2 Responses

1. Beth Reed says:

Project title:
    Investigating the relationship between reflection and young children’s metacognitive knowledge development.
    What is your role in the projects and what tasks do you undertake?
    I am a research assistant for Helen Rowe who is completing her PhD. Her degree is based on children’s metacognition and what helps them to learn. As her assistant, I carry out duties similar to hers but less of a workload. Most of the time I am carrying out the same tasks as her that she’s split in order to get work done quicker. This allows us to feed back to each other. These tasks may include literature reviewing, transcribing, transcription analysis, and generating ideas of what metacognition really is.
    What have the benefits of being a Student Researcher been for you?
    There are many major benefits to this scheme. Firstly, I can’t stress enough how flexible this ‘job’ is. The Academic Development Directorate and Helen truly understand that university work does come first, and allow me to work around my studies to what suits me best. Secondly, the role has really given me an insight into research, which has helped me in terms of research for my degree. Particularly as I study Psychology, it has allowed me to carry out research in another field. Thirdly, by allowing this, it has made me realise what my interests are, and what I’d perhaps like to pursue at dissertation level. And lastly, the project itself is interesting! It’s been a refreshing change to know that I am a part of something, and that my work is influencing future research. Furthermore, working with Helen has given me confidence in interacting with people and being able to actually carry out a task for someone else’s PhD!
    What is your dream job and how has being a Student Researcher helped?
    I haven’t decided on my dream job yet as it’s constantly changing but at the moment I’m thinking of opening my own business, and using fields of psychology to help me understand the customers. Being a student researcher has certainly helped me with this because it has given me the confidence to believe in myself, and to know that I can carry out tasks efficiently. Not only this, but it has given me the skill set to accomplish many things in my future life.

• Hi Beth,

Thank you for writing this profile, this will look great on the new web page. After the deadline has passed, I will arrange a session to take pictures of you all for the website, so I will be in touch after Easter about this.