City of York

Tips & Tricks for getting around York

During my five years living in York, I have gained extensive knowledge of this city’s winding roads, cobbled streets, and snickelways. And as a non-driver, I’ve had to learn how to get around in some alternative ways. So, here are some of the tips and tricks I’ve learned for getting around York!

On Foot

With York City Centre being pedestrianised, getting around on foot is probably the most obvious option. Walkers tend to have the right of way and can often reach their destination faster than drivers. However, when the whole city centre is full of other walkers, trying to work your way through weekend crowds, everyday dilly-dalliers, and Viking parades (if you know, you know) can be a struggle.

When I want to avoid the crowds, I always take the York City Walls. Built by the Romans in 71 AD, the wall remains a historical attraction and walking route. It’s free to access and open to the public during daylight hours. I particularly love the section of the wall between Baile Hill and Lendal Bridge, as this is the longest stretch of unbroken wall, and leads you from one side of the city centre to the other in just 15-20 minutes. I’ve also found this to be the least crowded section, making it an easy and straightforward walk.

TIER Scooters

TIER Scooters are electronic and climate-neutral e-scooters. They run on a pay as you go fee. After a £1 unlock fee, they’re only £1 per minute to ride! Making them a very affordable mode of transportation and perfect for navigating the winding streets of York.

I often use the TIER scooters after a long day in the university library. I always feel a lot safer using the scooters at night as I can get home a lot faster than I would on foot. There are on-campus TIER scooters located just outside the De Grey Court building and another opposite Temple Hall.

Please note, that the York City Council trial with TIER will end on 31st May 2024. TIER Scooters will unfortunately not be available in York after this date.

Bus Routes

When living in a pedestrianised city, finding a fully accessible mode of transportation can be difficult, which is why the bus services within York are so important. For those with mobility issues, the bus service is probably the most dependable way of getting around the city.

During my first year, I would often catch the bus from the supermarkets on Foss Island rather than carry the heavy shopping bags back to my student accommodation. I have always found the bus services in York to be reliable, timely, and most importantly affordable, making it an incredibly accessible way of getting around, particularly for students.

Ellie

Hello, I'm Ellie, and I'm studying MA Media Production here at York St John University. I am a regular at the mindfulness sessions in the Chapel and I enjoy long hikes, home cooking and content creation!