Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Michael Hardacre – Mayor of Wolverhampton

Certificate of Education

Class of 1968

The Mayor of Wolverhampton

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

B.Ed University of Lancaster.

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

Cllr Dr Michael Hardacre and Mayoress Ms. Lynn Plant. Michael has short grey hair and is smiling at the camera. Michael is wearing red civic robes and a civic regalia showing Wolverhampton's coat of arms. Michael is also holding black and gold civic headwear and white gloves. To Michael's right is Lynn Plant who has short blond hair and is smiling at the camera. Lynn is wearing a blue hat, blue dress, and blue dress coat. Lynn is also wearing a civic regalia around her neck.
Cllr Dr. Michael Hardacre and Mayoress Ms. Lynn Plant.

The attached Official Photos will be used for the Mayoral Year of Cllr Dr Michael Hardacre and his Mayoress, Ms Lynn Plant.

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

When I was at St John’s, we were told that there was a church for each week of the year, and a public house for every day of the year. Whilst in York, I became extremely proficient proving one of those two things.

My time at St John’s was without a doubt, one of the greatest learning experience I’ve ever had, meeting as I did, people of like mind, to wanted to go out, and fulfil the motto of the college – Ut Vitam Habeant et Abundantius – this created a fellowship whose days are always remembered by us all.

My wife, Lynn, and I are looking forward to our year as Mayor and Mayoress of Wolverhampton. I have no doubt that the lessons I learnt at St John’s will stand us in good stead, throughout the period.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES?

Because of it’s reputation for excellence, as a teacher training establishment. It was known throughout the north of England as being the premier place of study for those of us wishing learn how to teach. I can vouch for the high quality, of the psychology, sociology and philosophy of education courses that I followed. I also followed a history course.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

I have been headteacher of two schools, PRU Head of Learning and Skills in Britain’s worst prison of 2002. I also worked for the DFES on Every Child Matters and the extension of the London Challenge nationally. I have been Chair of the Public & Parliamentary Committee of ASCL. I have also been the national president of ASPECT which grew out of the education inspector’s Trade Union. I have been a councillor in Wolverhampton for the last 12 years, having been Head of Planning, Cabinet Member for Education and Skills, and am now Mayor of Wolverhampton, a city I have lived in for last 42 years.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

As Shakespeare wrote, “This above all, to thine own self be true, and needs must follow as night the day thou canst not then be false to any man.”

Next Post

Previous Post

2 Comments

1. Chris Blackwell (1965-68 CertEd) June 1, 2023

Many congratulations Mike on becoming Mayor of Wolverhampton. It’s a long way from those days when we enjoyed a mug of tea and toasted tea cake in Greenwood’s Cafe on Lord Mayors ‘Walk after History lectures at Gray’s Court – Lord Mayors ‘ Walk, how appropriate.
    Your wife Lynn and you look splendid in the photo and the only change I could possibly comment on is the length of your hair!
    Very best wishes for an excellent and enjoyable year in office.

• Michael Owen Hardacre June 1, 2023

Thanks for that, it all seems like yesterday and a lifetime away. Best wishes to yourself as well.