Live Studio Show: Student Overload

Vimeo Password: overloaded

Contexualising Statement  

The live studio show also heavily involved teamwork. With shooting a ‘YouTube style’ show we decided to focus on filming four video tapes using an iPad and plug in mic and focusing our content for a student audience. Shooting on different locations was difficult and certain obstacles had to be dealt with such as getting to locations and deciding on roles however with our communication skills and constantly staying informed with one another we managed to focus on the filming at hand.

In the studio we were working with equipment and a set that smaller and so we needed to be concise and aware of our surroundings. As the floor manager I had to communicate times when the presenters were on air and keep track of timings and transitions between VT’s. I knew that being professional “is the ability to be in command, and at the same time relaxed” (Boyd, A 1988) and since there was no border between the studio set and broadcasting room I adapted the way I delegated to the presenters.

• Boyd, A. (1988) ‘On air’. Broadcast Journalism Techniques of Radio and Television News 5th ed. Oxford, Focal Press, pp. 168-181