Photography Task: Nature

I believe with Nature as my photography topic I was really able to get to the heart of different effects nature has. Shooting in both daylight and at night further allowed me to showcase nature through different lights and in different forms showing a contrast in nature’s colours and sizes. My long exposure picture shows how nature stays the same behind moving objects. 

1.  Shallow depth of field

2. Frame within a frame

3. Reflection

4. Silhouette 

5. Long Exposure

Contextualising Statement 

The photography task allowed me to display a different set of skills involved with taking still images. Knowing about methods such as rule of thirds and the ethics surrounding photojournalism I chose ‘nature’ as my photography topic knowing I could get a range of contrasting images. Focusing on raw nature such as plants and trees my five pictures feature techniques such as frame within a frame, long exposure, silhouette, reflection and shallow depth of field.

Navigating around the Canon 77D camera was a little struggle especially when it came to ISO and white balance but with a lot of technical support and practice shooting, I managed to adjust the settings manually to match the environment surrounding me whether that was shooting in day or night. When it came to the edit, I tried to keep it minimal adjusting properties such as colours, highlights, shadows and cropping when needed using Photoshop. Moreover considering my theme was ‘nature’ I attempted to stay true to the pictures I. had taken and as a photojournalist add editing where necessary, “I believe that many of us adopted certain techniques, not to change the truth of what we were attempting to articulate, but to make our images stand out from the crowd” and this is what I wanted to visually communicate through my photography. The photography task allowed me to be creative with the camera whilst continuing my creativity through the editing software which I enjoyed being a part of.

The New York Times. (2015) Debating the Rules and Ethics of Digital Photojournalism [Internet] Available from https://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/17/world-press-photo-manipulation-ethics-of-digital-photojournalism/ [Accessed 28th April 2019]