Mobile Journalism: Healthy Eateries

Contextualising Statement

Using skills from filming the VT’s for the studio project I managed to transfer a lot of my technical knowledge into the Mobile Journalism task. Although mobile phones are smaller, they can be incredibly useful on location for filming short clips including establishing shots, location pans, close-ups, wide shots and voice overs. Engaging with the brief I decided to choose ‘Healthy Living’ as my theme and film new and existing eateries in York that are selling organic and vegan adapted foods. Using sophisticated apps such as iMovie it was easy to create the 60 second footage using sequences whilst adding in background music. Having developed my plan beforehand (see with references) I knew which shots I was going to get and what my piece to camera would be about. Using a mid-shot, I filmed my piece to camera on location with “the subject off center to show the unfolding actuality in the background” (Burum, I &. Quinn, S 2016).

This task allowed me to work independently and focus on filming through a different platform of media. Shot entirely on my mobile device it was valuable in taking on unique roles such as being behind camera, presenter and editor. I was able to gain a large set of transferable skills which I thoroughly took advantage of with this task.

• Burum, I & Quinn, S. (2016) Composing Visual Proof on Smartphones. MoJo: The Mobile Journalism Handbook. England, Focal Press, pp. 99-115.