ZigZag Pitch

Here are the creative briefs for each ad:

Booths Creative Brief – TV Ad

Booths Creative Brief – Facebook Ad

Booths Creative Brief – Mobile Ad

Reflection:

When picking a ZigZag client, our group was looking for one that was in need of more advertising. We chose Booths largely because it hadn’t had any major ads in almost 8 years, and it wasn’t a well-known brand name among us. Once we chose Booths, we decided we needed to get a better idea of who shopped at Booths, what tone Booths might like their ads to have, and which target audiences we should craft our different ads for. We decided to make a TV ad directed towards both already existing customers as well as new ones, so we could promote the Booths card and all the deals it offers. For a Facebook ad, we decided to reach out to younger potential customers of age 18-30 who live in the Northern UK, with the intentions of broadening Booths’ customer base beyond older generations. The mobile ad was planned to promote the Christmas dinner Booths has to offer to British adults who don’t have the time or skills to cook their own Christmas dinner. When we figured out these three plans, we each chose a specific ad to flush out in detail and then grouped up again to get on the same page.

My job was to develop the Facebook ad pitch. I envisioned a video that would be visually engaging so that people scrolling Facebook would be compelled to stop and watch it, whether sound was on or not. The concept of this idea was that people scroll Facebook when they are bored, and boredom increases one’s hunger drive, so placing a video ad with delicious food in front of them would entice them to venture over to Booths. It took some digging, but I was very happy when I found an M&S commercial that worked as a fine piece of inspiration for the tone and technique I was going for. With its aesthetic shots of food, creative use of movement, and quick clever cuts, the M&S ad was a pleasure to watch even without the sound and it worked as poetry to one’s stomach.

One of the problems I had was finding any useful information at all on my target audience for the Facebook advert. Thankfully, the general research we had on Booths’ customers was all I needed to plan an effective ad. It was difficult for me to understand exactly what was expected of us for this project, but once I got to work on it with my group that uncertainty was dissolved. Another problem I encountered at the very beginning was the other group members were taking off with their ideas and I had little voice in what direction our pitch would go, however, their ideas worked fine with me and I was able to get onboard and do my part.

What I learned from this was that companies such as ZigZag exist to create ads for companies that have signed up to be their client, and that such ads need to be pitched to representatives of both ZigZag and the client. This was a valuable learning experience for selling ideas to professionals and I was very glad with how impressed the ZigZag representatives who came to hear our pitch were by our ideas.