Everything is Possible: An Interview with Lydia Crosland

By Nicoletta Peddis

Lydia Crosland was part of the cast of Everything is Possible, the story of York Suffragettes (review here). She also happens to be a student at York St. John University, where she studies English Literature and History. She has been a part of West Yorkshire Playhouse’s Youth Theatre since its inauguration and she is currently working as an assistant for York Thetare Royal’s Youth Theatre. Lydia’s next project is Amphibious for the Takeover Festival 2017, which will take place at the Theatre Royal between 23rd and 28th October. I met her to ask her some questions about her experience in the community project but also about her opinions on some of the issues portrayed in the show.

Nicoletta Peddis: In which ways was the experience in Everything is Possible linked with your university studies?

Lydia Crosland: I have always been interested in both sides of theatre, the acting as well as the playwriting and directing. One of the reasons I have chosen to study literature at university is to try to pursue one of those careers, but also to engage with different issues, like for example how literature is adapted into theatre. Everything is Possible was a great experience in that sense, but also as a link to the history side of my degree, as a show that looks back to the past.

NP: Did you find there to be a connection between the issues portrayed in Everything is Possible and gender issues that were debated in your literature modules?

LC: Definitely. Even before Everything is Possible the Gender and Writing module opened my eyes to different issues and different approaches to Gender Studies. So it was even more interesting to being part of a show that addressed important issues that I was already aware of. Especially because it was also election year, I approached elections very aware of the impact of voting as a young woman. It felt even more important, being aware of how many women died for us to have our rights, and having portrayed one of the many women that fought so hard.

NP: As a spectator, I felt that the main strength of the play was its being a community project and the fact that it was clear how much the cast was deeply involved in the events portrayed. How did it feel for you as an actor?

LC: I definitely agree with what you said about the community spirit of the play. Everybody felt the importance of the events we were portraying and felt involved in making the public aware of the reality of the pain these women suffered in order to obtain such an important right. Moreover, the community atmosphere worked also in the sense that everybody had the opportunity to learn something from other people, to be enriched by the different experiences and backgrounds everybody had to offer. For example, I found it very interesting to work with people who grew up and lived in York most of their lives, as I only moved here to attend university.

NP: What was the overall impact that the experience of Everything is Possible had on you?

LC: It was definitely a great way to marry my passion for literature with my love for theatre. I will be working on feminist theatre for my English Literature dissertation, so it was a very useful experience in that sense. The strength of the issues portrayed was enriching also in realizing that as women we have to carry on and keep progressing, as there are still a lot of issues to be resolved and the fight for equality is definitely not over. Also, in being part of a community project with such important informational and educational purposes, I started to think of myself as someone who is going to have to make career choices in the near future. What kind of professional do I want to be? What kind of impact do I want to have on society? I think is good to ask ourselves these questions and be aware of the different choices we can make to contribute to the progressing of our society.