Are you the next secretary?

pad_and_pen

Office shot” by Martin Thomas is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Ynda Jas is leaving us to pursue an academic career as a PhD student in London. We will have plenty of time to say goodbye to Ynda and to recognise their fantastic contribution to University community life through their energy, enthusiasm and ideas as a founder member and Secretary of the LGBT Staff Network. On a more pragmatic note we are looking for a volunteer to take on the role of Secretary for the Network and to work alongside Ynda for the rest of this year so there is a gradual handing over of responsibilities. If you are interested please let me know.

Indicative minimum time commitment and responsibilities: 3 hours per 4-6 weeks, comprising:

• 1 hour agenda/meeting scheduling
  • 1 hour meeting
  • 1 hour notes/action log

Additional optional opportunities:

• events organisation
  • external events attendance
  • regional network liaison
  • developmental activities

Personal benefits:

• networking
  • organisational skills
  • influencing university
  • contributing to equality and diversity on the ground

If interested, contact Fiona (f.thompson@yorksj.ac.uk).

Fiona Thompson

At York St John University I am Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Chair of the University’s LGBT Staff Network. I have been actively involved with LGBT politics since the late 70s and, whilst much has changed for the better, there is still much to be done. I have also participated in the social and cultural world of my community from ballroom dancing to singing! I am a founder member of the Leeds based choir ‘Gay Abandon’ and I set up and conduct the splinter choir ‘Sacred Wing’ which sings sacred music at All Hallows Church (an inclusive Church of England church in Leeds) at Christmas.

You may also like...