Domestic Violence Project

For my role as a student researcher I have been lucky enough to be involved in a project that is investigating group interventions for children that have been exposed to domestic violence. This is part of a bigger project at the university around domestic violence, but I have been very happy to contribute my small little bit to a much larger project.

I initially joined this project because my mother set up a service where I grew up in South Africa for women who had been raped to receive counselling and support (something that was not available for them before that) and through seeing her make such a difference in our part of the world, I wanted to get involved in something that was close to my heart, research based and aiming to make a change in the world however small.

My part in the project has been supporting in carrying out a scoping review of the literature around interventions for children exposed to domesti violence. This is to be a background to an intervention planned to be carried out in a school with children exposed to domestic violence, where Tanya (a master’s student and a fellow researcher) will be evaluating the intervention for her Masters by Research.

So far I have been emailing researchers from all over the world to try and access the most current research; and reading lots of research to add to our scoping review, it has been both challenging to juggle my time and a joy to work with the team. I am very much looking forward to continuing this project and adding my small little piece to a larger puzzle.

Christine.

For more information about the larger project, see the following webpage about the Counselling and Mental Health Clinic:
http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/health–life-sciences/faculty-of-hls/counselling-and-mental-health.aspx

You may also like...

2 Responses

1. s.bath says:

I notice that the clinic is now open, Christine. Would you be able to post a blog regarding this?

2. Christine Muller says:

Yes of course. 🙂
    I will get that done in the next couple of weeks.