SaR: Thinking Towards the Future

“This will look so good on your CV!!”

From the moment I was told that I had been successful in my application to become a student researcher, this sentence has been uttered to me with joy from countless family members and peers. This of course is something I was very much aware of from the moment I first entered the application process back in October, but it’s only now as my research project starts to gain momentum that I truly understand the massive potential to learn so many different skills and the opportunities that I can gain from it.

The research project that I am working on involves experimenting, creating and developing new social media ploys for the Occupational Therapy department. This includes creating, designing and monitoring the OT blog via WordPress, as well as handling the Twitter account and providing students with the correct source of content and information that is needed and required within the programme. At the time I am writing this blog entry, myself and the team I work with are currently focused mainly within the planning of the OT blog design and putting our ideas into practices with a blog launch date set for late April to tie in with a host of key events within the OT department.

As a person who is a social media and web design fanatic and specialising in Marketing Management, this type of project is right up my street. I find myself in my element and I’ve spent the last two months alone searching into key social media tools such as Buffer and MailChimp to explore ways into how we can make ideas such as the blog efficient and successful. I’ve also had the experience of working on this project within a team which can be the most rewarding prospect of the entire research programme allowing us to feed ideas off each other, provide feedback and set overall targets and aims.

Ultimately, what I have learned from the project so far has helped me to gain a concept of what is to come in post-uni life and has helped to confirm that this is the type of field I want to end up in. So the opportunity to learn and observe every detail and aspect of the job from scratch is one that I am already learning so much from, and yes, it will look so good on my CV.

You may also like...