This years Mental Health Awareness Week theme is about the impact of loneliness on our mental health. One of our previous support group participants speaks to us about how his experience of being in our Cuppa and Conversation group helped him battle loneliness and support his mental health by making new lasting friendships, and how the act of sharing experiences and supporting each other aided his mental health, and feeling more connected.

~

I signed up for the Cuppa & Conversation 10-week course after seeing an advert on social media in April 2021. I had recently left my wife, who I’d been with for 12 years, and I was in a low place.

I’d had very brief times of feeling sad in life when work was getting me down, or I was struggling with confidence. I always bounced back fairly quickly, and as a man, mental health was never something I considered. I’d never thought of myself as someone whose mental health would affect me. But, in seeing the York St John Communities Centre advert, it hit me, as it spoke about loneliness. I had family and friends I was speaking to, but I had a fear of loneliness in the future knowing I would be starting a new life alone.

To attend week 1 of the course, I had no idea what to expect, and it provided anxiety and excitement to meet new people. My understanding of counselling was a group of people who support each other, by sharing experiences. I like listening and caring for others, but I didn’t feel like listening to other people’s issues would be of benefit to me, I was wrong. That initial hurdle of attending was a giant leap to helping me to take control of my mental challenges and realise what I was suffering was normal, and I was not alone.

During the 10-week sessions, there were moments of personal toughness in thinking about the past and the future. Listening to and seeing others struggling with the different tasks was also tough. However, a bond was formed quickly, which I put down to the fact we were being open and honest with each other, which had been created by the hosts of the sessions. Each week, the discussions and tasks were different, and as a group, some were of greater value than others, but each one was of help to all.

When I think back, Cuppa & Conversation massively helped me to get me back on track. With all learning, it’s important to continue to remember the content, but even more so, when it relates to Mental Health.

The other attendees are people I stayed close to for months after the event, and I regard these people as friends now. The people at York St John are lovely and you get a real sense of them wanting to support you, and help you get back on track with your life.

I would highly recommend anyone attend these sessions and seeing if they are of value to you.

~

If you want to find out more about this years Mental Health Awareness Week, then check their website here, and if you are in need of any support our website provides information on how we might be able to help, or other resources that could be beneficial.

Mental Health Week and Loneliness