Seven Books to Buy on National #BookshopDay!

• By Charlotte Stevenson

As some of you might know, this Saturday is National Bookshop Day. This means that across the weekend, specifically October 8th, there will be lots of book related events going on across the country such as author readings, signings and such. It’s an occasion to show your local bookshop some love as, whilst Amazon is convenient and easy to access online, there is nothing like going for a browse at your local store. There is a community there, a tangible hum to all of those spines full of potential calling out ‘pick me’. Every penny we spend there goes towards keeping those sanctuaries in place and making sure they remain on our high streets for the long run.

To celebrate, I’ll be heading out to the book shops nearby to see what I can find with some friends in my local town. I’ve been saving up so that I have a budget for what will hopefully prove a fruitful book haul. There are a few I have on my list and also a few which I already have which will make up the body of my reading material (outside of class) for October. Nothing especially spooky, but I am eager to find something to read about witches. Either/or, I’ll still be attempting a 24 hour readathon this weekend with my bookshop sourced materials.

Here is my to be read list/bookshop day bucket list for this weekend and all things readathon related, let me know if you have any recommendations in the comments below!

Note – All books listed will be/have been purchased from bookshops.

1.To Obama

I’ve always been a massive fan of Barack Obama, both what he achieved throughout his presidency and his personal writings. Because of this, I’m intrigued to read this text as it is a blend of interviews with Obama and his team whilst also containing his response to the letters which were sent him by the public during his 8 years in the White House. Every evening he would select 10 letters from the thousands sent to him to respond to, which are compiled in this book along with his replies.

What I like about it most is that it shows what a good leader should always possess, that being true compassion for their people and focus on the goals they wish to achieve. Those who believe that nothing is impossible are generally those that change the world, especially when they pause to take the time and remember how they got so far initially. I think this is going to make for both a moving and thought-provoking read.

2.An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

If any of you are fans of YA, John Green will be a familiar name. However this time it is his brother, Hank Green, gracing our bookshelves with his first novel, a fast-paced, completely enticing adventure reminiscent somewhat of Paper Towns but even better.

A.A.R.T is equal parts exciting and terrifying, emphasising more than ever why the arts are important and how books can offer us the mindset we might most be in need of. Follow April May and her friends as their Youtube video goes viral and they are forced to tackle something that could have an impact on the entire world. Lyrical and edgy prose with just a splash of satire – I’m already racing through!

3.Breaking News: The Remaking of Journalism and Why it Matters Now

Freelance writing is a big part part of my life and any time I see anything about journalism or the media, I can’t resist reaching out for new thoughts. Everybody has a completely different approach and perspective of the role journalism is taking on in the C21st where so much is changing and so quickly due to technology. Journalism is no longer a desk/office job in the traditional sense and we are far beyond the days of typewriters, but it is definitely still central to how and what we consume in our daily lives when it comes to media. There are still newspapers, journals and magazines that are produced by writers we know best as ‘journalists’.

This brilliant brick of a non-fiction book contains the experience, opinion and research of Alan Rusbridger who is a former editor-in-chief of the Guardian. There is so much to unlock in these chapters and I can’t wait to find out more about the evolution of journalism up until the present; a modern origin of the species, media edition.

4.Matilda (At 30)

How gorgeous are these editions? I’m a bit obsessed with Quentin Blake’s illustrations (I received the folio edition of The Hunchback of Notre Dame with his accompanying artwork for my birthday this year) I’m not quite sure which of these editions I will end up with on National Bookshop Day. That said, I have a feeling because there are three it might be more than one, how am I to choose? The covers imagine Matilda at 30 in various different jobs, from astrophysicist to CEO of the British Library (the dream!).

Matilda has always been my favourite Roald Dahl book, though that said I don’t think there is a Dahl book I don’t like. Matilda is an example of why we need to read, how it can make our lives so much better and most importantly of all, how in books we are never alone. Along with this read I will be playing the musical soundtrack and then maybe watching the movie with my family – it’s an excuse to go all out!

5.Feminists Don’t Wear Pink (And Other Lies)

I have been waiting for the publication of this for so long and now it is finally here! Every Feminist text published in recent years has been important to the ongoing wave of awareness around gender equality we have had and it’s really encouraging to see.

Myself and fellow Feminist Society members here at YSJ will definitely be discussing this very soon and attempting to choose our favourite moments, but more on that to come. In the meantime, check out S. Curtis’ instagram for more F.D.W.P information.

The Diary of a Bookseller

Absolutely hilarious, I adore the cynical, witty, charming tone of this bookseller diary. I’ve had it in my bag for my commute the past few weeks and every day it has made me laugh without fail, brightening my early mornings and keeping me awake through late evenings when I want to avoid too much caffeine. There are so many sections where I’ve had to stop and read them aloud to someone else, just to revel in how good it is.

This one I guess I will not be purchasing another copy of but will be re-reading on my way to the bookshops. It is a book for any fan of reading, full of quirky moments and book recommendations that will leave you with a new stack of titles to read on your desk. Completely brilliant, no day can be boring if it’s narrated by Shaun Bythell.

7. Bibliophile

And lastly, this stunning collection of painted spines, peculiar but fantastic bookshops and yet more book recommendations will be my last purchase and final literary companion for October. Exploring literature around the world and what books people most cherish, this collection is a perfect blend of the visual and the written. There seems to be something for everyone and I have no doubt that I will be diving in and out of the pages not only for the majority of October, but all days after.