Why do Student as Researcher Scheme???

The way to explain why people should do the student as researcher scheme is to explain my own personal experience and reasons for doing it.

Why did I do it?

Simplistically, I really wanted to understand why students didn’t engage in CPD courses. I had a couple of ideas for myself but with the number of benefits of doing CPDs (e.g. looks good on CV, learn new skills, gain in confidence, networking etc.), I was confused why students wouldn’t engage with them.

As part of my time as a programme rep, I was invited to Tutor meetings where we discussed the original concept of the project and I was intrigued and wanted to know more so I applied for the scheme.

As well I applied during my first year and was just being introduced to research. Through the scheme, I thought I could learn more and solidify my understanding of research.

Did it meet my expectations?

Honestly I went into this with no expectations! I was willing to learn and had the motivation to carry out the research as well as completing my studies.

What have I learnt?

I have learnt loads!!! I am now able to successfully complete thematic analysis and understand it in depth…this helps me with my dissertation and allows me to worry less about it. I have discovered new beliefs and interests of why students do and don’t engage in CPD courses and what courses they would like. Through the findings it has focused my desire to continue with postgraduate courses and what area of interest I would like to pursue. I’ve also gained in confidence, improved my writing style, improved my motivation to learn, expanded my communication skills etc… All of these skills I have learnt looks great on my CV!!!

So why do the scheme?

• Gain employable skills
  • Improve your understanding of research
  • Transferable skills to your studies
  • Networking
  • Investigate an interesting research area
  • Plus many, many more!

So why not apply…..?

ellen.gambles

3rd Year PE and Sports Coaching student. Student by day, swimming teacher and daughter the rest of the time. Big fan of sports and TV shows and films. Hoping to graduate and go on to do a Masters and PhD. My career aspiration is to be a PE university lecturer

You may also like...