This week (6th- 12th June) is ‘National Growing for Wellbeing’ week. I have to admit that I have NEVER been one for gardening or growing things. Not because I don’t enjoy it, but simply because I’m the person that no matter what, has the ability to kill a cactus. You know, those hardy plants that can survive the harshest weather on earth and live with little to no water. Yep, dead. Multiple times. So imagine my joy, when for the first time ever I’ve managed to not only keep something alive, but grow some actual edible food (well not quite edible just yet, and I guess there’s still time for it all to go horribly wrong!

As part of my 5 year olds school work, they’ve been looking at a plants journey from planting the seed, to fully grown. Well, this inspired me to get my grow on. Ever the pessimist I headed to the garden centre along with my son to seek out the easiest things to grow, knowing anything complicated just wouldn’t work. A while later we emerged with tomato and chilli seeds, pots and compost.

We set about planting the seeds now feeling very positive. And so we should have, as the plants have been so successful! We have just moved the tomato plants outside and have our first tomato!! The chilli plants are finally sprouting little chillies! You cannot believe how excited this made me, and the sense of achievement, well what can I say. It has certainly been a boost for my mood and self-confidence, so you can see how this can have a positive impact on mental wellbeing. I love spending time with my son, watering the plants, checking how they’re doing and doing any maintenance needed. Now don’t be fooled into thinking I know what I’m doing with them, as you will see from the progress pictures this is far from the truth! But that doesn’t matter, it’s something for me to focus on and enjoy!

Building on this, it is known that gardening is a source of relaxation, comfort and enjoyment for millions of people around the world, and can be hugely beneficial to mental health.

Research has shown that gardening can reduce stress, and associated depression, in several ways. These include immersion in a natural scene and engagement in a positive creative activity. A leaflet published by The Growing Health project [1] shows us many ways that gardening and growing things can benefit our mental wellbeing.

As well as mental health, there are obviously some physical benefits to gardening / growing too. Gardening burns a lot of calories. It can lower your blood pressure. Spending time outdoors in the sun prompts your body to make vitamin D, meaning stronger healthier bones! And my favourite thing of all… growing your own food can help you eat healthier.

Having said all of that, I do have to admit I opted for the less physical way, planting in pots rather than physically digging out the garden. (Although in my defence our garden isn’t really designed for gardening, as mentioned before we tend to avoid it where possible due to past experience ha!).

I have to say though, that through the positive experience I am willing to try new things, and be a bit more adventurous – it’s fun!

If it’s something you have been thinking about trying, I highly recommend. Honestly the feeling of satisfaction knowing that you’re growing your own things, and seeing the progress is totally worth it! And if you don’t know where to start, I definitely recommend taking a trip the local garden centre, the staff are so helpful, and there is also so much information on the internet to keep you on the right track!!

You can access a FREE Growing for Wellbeing Resource Pack here.

Happy Growing all!!

~

Author: Kirsty

~

References
1. GH_Stress_Factsheet_0.pdf (gardenorganic.org.uk)

Growing for Wellbeing