York St John Outreach Hub

Bringing our university to you.

Student Ambassador Blogs: Megan

Megan, a Primary Education student from York St John University, shares her experiences of living and learning in York. 

My name is Megan and I am a Primary Education student, I live in Halifax and I am a student ambassador. 

Tell us a bit about your course.

My course is very practical, we are always up and about using resources, making things in art and DT and doing experiments in science. I chose the course because it was the quickest route for me to become a primary school teacher. The best bits about the course are placement because it is a great experience and the practical activities because they are really fun to do and give me ideas for the future.

Why did you choose YSJ? 

The main factors that made me come to YSJ were the support available as I knew that if I had any problems or if I just wanted to talk to someone then there were lots of places I could go. Also, my course because it seemed really practical which is what I wanted, and the teachers were all really enthusiastic about it. Another reason was because of the campus. I came on five open days and loved it so much that I just kept coming back and I knew straight away that this is where I wanted to be.

What has been the best thing about your time at YSJ?

The best thing about my time at YSJ was probably the people. I’ve met so many amazing people both on my course and out of it and everyone is so friendly. I got lost a couple of times in my first semester and I could just ask someone and they would point it out to me or walk me to it if they had time.

What do you get up to when you’re not studying?

I am part of the Musical Production Society which is all to do with musical theatre. I am also a student ambassador and a launchpad ambassador.

Did you have any worries before starting university?

My main worries when coming to university were making friends and moving into my accommodation. I have always struggled to make friends and I have never lived away from home for more than a week. I overcame this by joining MPS so that I could meet people with the same hobbies as me and I made sure that I spoke to my parents at least once a week. I also made my university room really homely with lots of pictures of my family and friends from home.

Any top tips for students reading this? 

My top tips would be to join a society as they are a great way to meet new people who are like-minded. Also don’t pick a quiet flat unless you don’t want to see anyone as this is what I did last year and it was really lonely as my flatmates stayed in their rooms all of the time.

See more student ambassador blogs below

Next Post

Previous Post