Clifton Green Primary School

Clifton Green Primary School was work experience through part of my placement during second year at university. My placement objective was to come together creatively to produce a performance for the dance festival.  This included working with children aged 8-10 at Clifton Green Primary School, in previous years the dance festival was something they have been passionate about and they strive to keep this commitment going, showing that Clifton Green offer to get the children involved in many opportunities and have enthusiasm for performing arts.  My role was to create a 3 minute dance based around freedom; my aim for every session was to expand on the children’s ability to produce a performance using a variety of methods. Before considering the quality of the technique, I watched the children’s progress develop throughout each workshop which showed me their commitment towards the piece, also known as the growth of their confidence. The children became more aware of the theme helping them to embody freedom into every movement, judging that my aim for the sessions was a success. I believe their independency played a big role in this achievement as each task set pushed their creativity to its limit.

It is significant to aim for your students to share the power of the progress collectively with yourself as it hands out opportunities to explore their own capability to the task as well as, the movement.   

I believe my appearance gave the children a beneficial experience which is something they can take into consideration for the future, as I pushed them to achieve progress on their learning and ability to work independently and this is something that Clifton Green Primary School strives to accomplish. Following on, I consider the created performance I produced as a whole to be a challenge as it included different dynamics as well as introducing cannon to the children. It is however, important to consider all the three different age groups that took part in creating the performance, therefore the level of ability should fit to include everyone as an individual.

The experience overall for me gave me the opportunity to create an ensemble with a primary school group as well as introduce the way of working as an ensemble, giving me the confidence that I need to take on a primary class in order to create a performance with a set date, leading the pressure to build. However, I feel this was handled in a mature manner with time to spare for us to critique any mistakes.