One of the little ‘life hacks’ I (Steph) do every day is a little bedtime list. I use to go to bed and not be able to sleep for ages due to worrying about the day that had been, what I thought had gone wrong, and what people thought of what I did.. And feeling stressed and anxious about the next day, my meetings, what I had to do, if I could do it, and how I would cope. Not only would I not be able to drift off to sleep for hours (and have disturbed sleep), but my thoughts would spiral and and I would end up waking in the same head space and it would continue..

I watched a TedTalk one day that gave me this simple little lifehack to help. So every night when I go to bed, I either get my diary out, or just think as I lay in bed, what 3 positive things happened today? I would run through them, what happened, why it was good, and how it made me feel. Really feel that moment again. When things were really bad it was just 3 things that went well. Anything from a productive meeting, a tasty piece of cake, or how pretty the walk home was.

Just thinking of these 3 little things before I went to sleep really started to make an impact. I was taking that time to calm myself down and destress. I was shifting my mindset to a more positive and appreciative one – I was changing my outlook on the day. I started going off to sleep in a better mood and waking up in an improved one too.

So, todays self-care might be just a fun little practice to try, or it might even set you off to sleep feeling a little better.

Self-Care Sunday | Bedtime Lists
Tagged on: